Friday, May 15, 2015

A Fabulous Friday Feeling

I have been busy with this special private commission this week, amongst other projects.  It is a diffusion from a necklace made as part of my original 'Six Memos for the Next Millennium' series. In this ongoing series I create a piece of jewellery in response to each chapter in the book of the same title by Italio Calvino. This necklace has its foundation in chapter 3 which is titled 'Exactitude'.


Calvino, in this third chapter, writes about exactitude in literature.  He encourages writers to avoid language that is verbose, approximate, careless and random.  In the edit so the writing becomes 'exact',   In response to his I created a piece that represents time, the most exacting quantity I know. Whilst time seems to have an elasticity to it, it expands and contracts depending on our perception, it waits for no man and it is the driving force behind Calvino's call for exactitude.  Time is precious and writing (or design for that matter) needs to be carefully considered, honed and edited.

Six Memos for the Next Millennium, Chapter 3 Exactitude, pendant, April/May 2015, Cari-Jane Hakes
I have a little more polishing and finishing to do on this piece before it goes to London's Assay office for its last detail, a hallmark.  It has been just so lovely to work on this series again - I have some more ideas for the remaining chapters.  More on that soon - until then - Bon Weekend mes amis!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, the necklace is so beautiful! I love that it was inspired by Calvino, and by exactitude (I try and be precise in my writing too - particularly important in short stories). Discovered this blog through Mumsnet and will have a look at your jewellery now.

    x

    Annabella

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fascinating that you and your work are being inspired by a novel. I love the detail in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe after this long - I realise the 6 memos for the next millenium collection connection. I didn't pick that it was inpsired by Italio Calvino until you mentioned it. I have the book on my shelf somewhere (or in a box in storage).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...