Thursday, August 21, 2014

Learning to write

A childhood of moving around between seven different schools left me with a few gaps in my knowledge; number bonds, multiplication tables and an almost complete inability to spell were among the most noticeable voids. I mostly worked out my own systems and strategies to deal with the shortfalls and I can't say the chopping and changing has held me back in anyway.

Oh, and I also managed to miss all the classes on 'joined up writing'. This summer I therefore purchased myself a little calligraphy kit from Linea Carta (here) and decided it was high time I learned to do some proper joined up writting!

Tessellated Pebble and Thyme Branch, Cari-Jane Hakes
That said, I've been reading that some schools in Europe are beginning to phase out any kind of focus on handwritten skills, so perhaps I was just WAY ahead of my time!

Learning to Write
The summer is the perfect time to try out something new as it is that time of travelling to new places  and revisiting old haunts with new 'one year on' eyes. When the everyday routines are disrupted and rumpled new spaces seem to open up for new thoughts, concepts and learning new skills.

Are you taking the time to learn something new? Leave a link if you like to your newest pursuit in the comments below, if you feel so inclined.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get back to practicing my penmanship!

4 comments:

  1. I love that you are taking the time to learn handwriting -- "joined up writing" is such a fun phrase. It made me sad to find out that a lot of schools here in Canada are phasing the skill out as well. It is such a beautiful art form. I can't wait to see some of what you have written. The idea of working with leather has floated through my mind lately, but I have yet to act upon it. I think I'd like to take a class first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, a class is a good way to start - that's how I got into gold smithing!

      Delete
  2. I am hoping the world conspires to give my husband the job he interviewed for today which would see us going to live on Norfolk island...and if that happens my next year will be entirely focussed on mothering, painting, photography and ceramics!!!!! Cross all your fingers and toes for us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...