Monday, July 7, 2014

Manifesto Necklace

Every now and again I manage to make something that sums up everything.  I know this is a bit of a bold statement, but really, this is all we ever try to do when we make or create things, isn't it? We use our hard won technical and design skills to develop, to construct, to sketch, to engineer, to re-engineer to create a thing that we can hold up to the light and say 'Ahhh, this IS good!'


A Life's Journey, From Here to There and Back Again, Cari-Jane Hakes, July 2014
This is the longest handmade chain I have ever created.  It swings so low that the pebble held tightly in its silver housing swings almost at my waist.  And oh, it is the most perfect little pebble! The whole composition is just pure line and form.  Minimally drawn but with moments of intricate complexity that I hope are balanced out evenly.

As with all designs, now that I test it out there are things I would change, bit I would refine.  Next time, next time.  Until then, this is it.  It sums up everything I try to do and say through the medium of goldsmithing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...