Friday, May 23, 2014

In Praise of Side Projects - or why it's ok to make mistakes

I tried to make a ring inspired by the 'What I Caught in My Net' photographs that sometimes get published in this space.  I had in my mind a winding strand of silver into which various stones would be casually caught; delicately balanced and lightly held.  I wanted the ring to have a casualness about it; flotsam and jetsam.

I made this ring as part of my side project for this year, the EtsyMetal 3xR challenge which is proving to be very challenging indeed.

And actually, pretty much everything went wrong with this ring.  The strands of the 'net' became too thin, the number of coils had to be reduced and the stone's housing should, on reflection, have been soldered in between the strands, not on top of them.

Net Ring, week 17 Etsy Metal 3xR Challenge 2014
But despite of all the things that are wrong with this ring I rather love it.  In fact, it is perhaps its imperfections that give the ring some of the casualness I was after.  The texture to the band is not what I was expecting but it has become my new favourite way of patterning silver.

band detail, Cari-Jane Hakes, May 2014
More net rings, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...