Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Really Rather Remarkable Thing

I'm still stopping to look closely at the things on the margins, on the edges, discarded and hidden.  Whilst in France, this came very easily.  Back in England, even though I'm living in a place and a position on the island of the UK that I have never lived, I'm finding it a little harder to 'see'.

And then I found this.


Perhaps, at first glance it is not such a remarkable thing.  And indeed they are common as muck around these parts.  But they exhibit a delicate variation, and certainly, at this time of year, as they shed their snowy whiteness a whole panoply of colours and tones have begun to develop.



I must admit I am a little shocked to see so many things coming into seed.  I was under the impression that perhaps summer was spreading out in front of us in a never ending unfurling carpet.  Not so.  The time has unspooled quickly and is lying in a bit of a mess all over the place!


I took some time to photograph this seed head from a few different angles.  From here and there it begins to resemble a very delicate tensegrity structure - like the ones Gaudi used to make as he pondered the whys and where-fours of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.


Antoni Gaudi and his upside down structural model

Summer Seeds, July 2013, Cari-Jane Hakes
I rather like the distribution and orientation of these seeds, the way they lie and seemingly swarm with a  kind of static energy.

Elsewhere - many things are taking shape on the workbench.  More on that tomorrow mes amis.

1 comment:

  1. How interesting - turning things upside down brings a whole new way of looking at things. The Gaudi image is fascinating too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...