Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Making Visible That Which Is Invisible

So it was with many clicks and google searches that I persued the creator of this piece that popped up on my Pinterest feed this morning.

Liz Collini Refractions 2012, screen print on paper
A grand sweep of beautiful typography is really rather beautiful and I often found, in my training as an Architect, that a drawing didn't feel finished until it was covered in text, notations and labelling.  The text made visible what was unseen and only implied in the drawing.

Liz Collini 'versions' detail 2009, chalk and pen on blue emulsion (image: Stephen Walton)

The day I learned how I could put text in any font I so desired onto silver was an auspicious day indeed.  There are some words, some phrases, poems and lyrics that embed deep into your fibres in a way that make you understand why Edward Bulwer-Lytton coined the phrase "the pen is mightier than the sword".

pebble pendant
'We've still got time', Cari-Jane Hakes, 2009

'Love Letters Written by Moonlight' stage 1
Love Letters Written By Moonlight, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2009
winter song brooch/necklace 2
Winter Song, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2009
Les Petites Callioux, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2009
What words are burned into your being?  Words to live by, words that play on repeat in the background of your life.

To find out more about Liz Collini, visit her website http://www.lizcollini.com.

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could put any font onto silver! Please can someone hurry up and pay you to write a tutorial book for silversmithing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate! Transfer film....it'll change your world!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QNUIfvBTr4

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Be the change you wish to see in the world" -Gandhi This is probably my favorite quote as far as the topic of inspiration goes.

    I also love these song lyrics by a song called There Is by Blink182

    Do you care if I don't know what to say?
    Will you sleep tonight? Will you think of me?
    Will I shake this off
    Pretend it's all okay that there's someone out there who feels just like me
    There is.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beautiful quotes! I'm off to find Blink 182 on YouTube.

      Delete
  4. The words that pop into my head occasionally have no specific meaning but have played on repeat since I first saw the movie as a child...they evoke big open spaces, and exploring the world...

    In Meryl Streeps best Karen Blixen voice:

    "I had a farm in Aaaaafriikka, At the foot of the Ngong Hills.
    The Equator runs across these highlands, a hundred miles to the north, and the farm lay at an altitude of over six thousand feet. In the day-time you felt that you had got high up; near to the sun, but the early mornings and evenings were limpid and restful, and the nights were cold."


    and then

    "If I know a song of Africa, of the giraffe and the African new moon lying on her back, of the plows in the fields and the sweaty faces of the coffee pickers, does Africa know a song of me? Will the air over the plain quiver with a color that I have had on, or the children invent a game in which my name is, or the full moon throw a shadow over the gravel of the drive that was like me, or will the eagles of the Ngong Hills look out for me? "

    "Msabu's bleeding. She does not have this ox. This lion is hungry. He does not have this ox. This wagon is heavy. It doesn't have this ox. God is happy, msabu. He plays with us. ".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second illustration is so stunning. I just love popping over to your blog and catching up Cari-Jane-I particularly love your bracken brooch. I seem to have a bit of a thing for botanicals! Just signed up for a flower painting course-so excited-hope I can still draw! Cx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...