Friday, April 12, 2013

Details

Part of the way I design often involves getting completely obsessed with one tiny thing.  I think the origin of this could lie partly in the way I was taught design.

As fledgling architects we were taught to pay attention to the details.  We were taught that a successful building could often be 'read' through its details and that we could take a macro design concept and run it right through our design projects.  I'm not talking about a slavish repetition of a motif or colour; in architectural design it could often be something much more subtle.  Perhaps the concept would involve an attitude to the way the light entered a building or it would encompass utilising a family of materials in a consistent way.  All of this would aim to achieve a cohesive voice that could be seen manifest in the smallest of details scaling up to the way, for example, the structure was organised.

With this architectural focus in mind I have been concentrating on and thinking about these tiny natural details and wondering how they will find their way into my work.




Salix Caprea, April 2013, Cari-Jane Hakes
And have you noticed, once you get focused on something it seems to pop up everywhere?

3 comments:

  1. I've noticed that with cars, actually. Haha! Whenever I get a new car, I see that car everywhere, but never noticed it before I owned one.

    I love your attention to detail. It's what makes your pieces so very special.

    LC from the world of ellesee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that too. Although no example comes to mind. I'm curious as to where you studied architecture. The ideas you talk about are common to design in general i think - true for landscape architecture and for graphic design.
    It's about a kind of language for whatever it is being designed i think.
    Like any language there is something that holds it togehter, a structure, a tone...makes it cohesive. The light/materials/themes you talk about whether for architecture or pieces of jewellry are the same as a kind of language no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images, the second one is my favourite. I completely understand, I tend to become obsessed with the minor details too. I think it's part of being creative - we tend to get caught up in creation, it's almost like another world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...