Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hybrid Handmade Home - Mother's Day

I took some time out and made my mum a card.  It's not your usual Mother's day card but I know she will like it.

Work in Progress, March 2013, Cari-Jane Hakes
The colours and the shapes reminded me of the pendants I was busy making this time last year; some of which are still for sale in the Etsy shop.

Peach Blossom and Turquoise faceted pendant, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2012
Inspired by my recent purchase from Becky Kemp's Etsy shop (see here) I set off on an internet expedition to find out where the recent fascination with the facet originated.  After a bit of research into Delaunay triangulation (see here) and this film showing how the cover for the a recent issue of Novum magazine was created - well, I just simply had to have a go myself.


Novum 11/11 – Making Of Cover from Paperlux on Vimeo.

It was quite difficult changing medium from copper and silver to paper and paint.  Choosing which colours to use required some careful planning but once I'd decided to introduce some fluorescent pink I was on my way.



 Now I'm dreaming of large canvases filled with brightly coloured facets.  It may well become my 'on the side' project.  In the meantime, here is the finished card!

Hand painted Mother's Day card by Cari-Jane Hakes,  March 2013


2 comments:

  1. oh i've been obsessed with geometric designs for years....polygons, triangles, squares, circles....maybe because it is the only math i excelled in. barely passed algebra and only did because my teacher knew i tried so hard. Yay for geometry! i'm sure you're mum will love it. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, changing medium is always a challenge but your result is beautiful and I´m sure your mother loved it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...