Monday, March 18, 2013

A Homage to Yeats

Do you have lines of poetry that stay with you?  I have a few; stanzas and words from these poems seem to lock in, deep, somewhere in my cortex and can be called to mind no matter the time or the place.

This poem by W.B. Yeats is fastened tight in my memory. Sometimes I like to spread the words out to see them again in black and white, rather than flashes in my mind.

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats (1865-1939)

As I made this Etsy treasury (which can be found here on the Etsy site) the words of this poem sifted and rose through my thoughts.

The rush and the bustle is done and dusted.  I'm looking forward to some time in the workshop this week.  I'm hoping these words might weave their way into something metallic and precious.

"I have spread my dreams under your feet" W.B. Yeats' by hybridhandmade

From the poem He Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven by W.B.Yeats


Leather cuff/ wallet wr...
$32

Mens Crab Nebula SPACE ...
$21

Any 5 Herb & Vegetable ...
$30

map pillow LONDON Organ...
$55

Our Harbour - Greeting ...
$4

black and white book co...
$22

typewriter pillow
$54

8 fridge animal magnets...
$9.75

Vintage Marquee Lights ...
$249

Winter Decor, Fine Art ...
$15

NO.63 Deep Teal Cotton-...
$40

Acrylic semi-abstract l...
$94

Women scarf, Hand paint...
$56

Full Moon - Large Hand-...
$16

A Day at the Lake Minia...
$15

Antique Scottish City M...
$7.95

7 comments:

  1. I love your treasury, Cari-Jane, and I especially like it when I get turned on to a great shop in my own country (extase). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service Monique! Always good to find fellow 'home country' Etsyians!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poem Cari.
    I also have one which as yours stays in my mind:
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
    There is a society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    -Lord Byron-
    Regards from Spain :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I often have e.e. cummings, John Donne, and William Carlos Williams in my head. I love how pieces of poetry get stuck in there.

    Beautiful treasury!

    LC from the world of ellesee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...