Thursday, February 7, 2013

Work in Progress

Below, a little insight into what goes on behind the scenes of a jeweller's workbench.

I have a new commission.  And before I even dare to cut into any precious metal I have to plan and plan and sketch and think and make models and think some more and email images and pictures and musings to the client and draw and think some more.

These things don't just pop out ready formed you know!

Emerald Pools, design development, sketches and models, Jan-Feb 2013, Cari-Jane Hakes
To investigate the theory of a tube set stone resting on a concave surface I had to test it out, properly, with metal.  Paper and card are quick and easy and are great for assessing form and scale but when it comes to the nuts and bolts of actually creating the piece I always have to explore the design in metal.

These test 'pools' were made with copper and brass (although the little spheres are actually silver).  Sometimes I just need to see the potential beauty of the piece rendered in solid metal.  I need to go through the motions of cutting, forming, soldering and polishing to really see the design.




testing, testing, 1, 2, 3
Elsewhere, this haiku stopped me in my tracks.  Goodness, how beautiful is that?  It makes me wonder anew at the power of words and their ability to conjure and weave a whole landscape of images within our minds eye.


You can find out more about this artist by clicking here.

3 comments:

  1. Your rings look great. I like to see the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Eyelah - I always think it is interesting to see how other people work - it's good to see how pieces evolve too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...