Tuesday, February 19, 2013

New Work - fresh off the bench

This new piece has its origins in a piece I made whilst living in France (you can see it here).  The form is a simplification and abstraction of the oyster shells I used to find dotted all over the beaches.  There is something rather amazing about oysters, the way they take grit and sand, irritations and discomfort and transform them into pearls.  I am rather taken with this as a metaphor for life in general.  In summary, if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger!

Silver and Gold Oyster Necklace, Cari-Jane Hakes, February 2013
The 'oyster' in this piece is delicate and perfectly formed with just a smudge of gold to give it some extra polish.  It will be flying off directly to an Etsy customer in the USA very soon.

Meanwhile, the 'Into The Wild' series is continuing.  More on that tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That is really pretty. I like the back part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll ever eat an oyster again without thinking of your metaphor!

    What a beautiful necklace...

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...