Sunday, February 3, 2013

Longitude and Latitude

It is a rather fascinating thing is it not?  That the earth is segmented and partitioned and divided by lines going this way and that.  The lines of latitude are simple, logical and can only be where they are by virtue of geometrical purity.  But where to start numbering those lines of longitude?

There were many and varied reasons behind the selection of Greenwich, London as the meridian in 1884 (even though France and Brazil had other ideas) and I wonder how this decision shapes our perception of the world today.

These are the things that I ponder whilst I create, especially when I am commissioned to produce a piece that incorporates these rather abstract numbers into a precious silvered artefact.


I 'made' this silver.  Melted and melded it together.  Putting it through my rolling mill numerous times to give it a smooth workable surface.  The resulting silver has a massive landscape type feel to it.  I left one side edge un-squared,  in its natural frozen state.  The co-ordinates both relate to coastal locations and so the numbers are perhaps tethered and defined by this silvered coastline.


Places have meaning.  They anchor our existence, they measure out our progress and serve as a legend for our past perambulations.

To the recipient - Bon Voyage Sir!  May they accompany you on many further adventures!

6 comments:

  1. You have the most fascinating thoughts. I've thought about getting the latitude and longitude of my son's birth place tattooed on my body...but it's a tattoo.

    I love those cufflinks. Your customer is a lucky man.

    LC from theworldofellesee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, see, I often think of jewellery as removable 3D tattoos!

      Delete
  2. love the chunky raw feel you have created
    and the rationalisation ain't bad either!
    x ... ***

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you put this.
    I think in this day and age of easy (or relatively easy) world wide travel those anchors perhaps have become all the more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Genevieve! Hope all is well with the book - not too stressful?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...