Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Into The Wild - The Stag

I put off the piecing together of this prototype for some time. Here it is back in October.  I packed it up, unfinished, when I left France at the end of October and it is only now that I have managed to carve out the time to concentrate on it again.

Into The Wild - The Stag, Cari-Jane Hakes, February 2013
 And so here is my first attempt at incorporating the tones of a highland hillside covered in springy heather. I think the balance of this 'chain' will need some more work.  This is still the prototype, although I think the mix of copper and silver works. I'm not sure that I would make everything in silver in the final version.  A silvered stag would just disappear into the background.


I really feel that this piece, and this series, is the start of my work reaching a kind of steady stride.  Building and fabricating these tiny 'rooms', designing all the components to fit together - well, it feels like some kind of architecture.

Into The Wild, detail to back of main pendant housing, Cari-Jane Hakes, February 2013
There is a delicate balance of spatial expanse with myth, mystery and magical objects.  With this series I'm really trying to capture that fleeting moment of encounter when we see a little bit of 'The Wild'.  Many things are bound up with this - landscape, colour, sky, forests, wide heathered moors, steep rocky mountain sides, moss, burrows and that amazing moment when, for a second or so, the wild thing holds your gaze before leaping, running or bounding away from you (hopefully, NOT towards you!).

A herd of stags
Elsewhere, antlers are cropping up all over the place in the Hybrid Handmade Home.  How lovely is my new workshop apron brooch? A Harlequin Stag no less. It was made by the wonderful Becky Kemp (a fellow Etsyian) whose gorgeous shop can be found here.  I am actually wearing him out and about too.  It is definitely the kind of brooch which needs to go on adventures.

Finally, next to the Harlequin Stag, are the set of antlers that Dauvit Alexander (more on him here) sent through to see what I would do with them.  I have a plan for these, but more on that another day.


6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the purple beads. They bring the perfect balance between hard and soft; feminine and masculine. Simply lovely!

    LC from theworldofellesee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I love the purple too - although I reckon I will try a few other things with this 'chain' - the piece is demanding more than just a simple string of colour.

      Delete
  2. Staggering.
    (Urgh!!)

    A beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dauvit - that did actually make me properly 'LOL' :)

      Delete
  3. HOW did I miss the brooch???? fantabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brooch is not by me though! But yes, it is fantabulous!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...