Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hidden Beauty

It was quiet, upon quiet.  I ran softly, softly, carefully measuring the undulations of the landscape with a  sometimes faltering stride.  The cold was curling itself round my fingers and scouring the ball of each foot to a numbness.  I stopped measuring, my breath steadied and behold, a carpet of snowdrops.  Thousands upon thousands stretching into the dark depths of the quiescent wood.

Hidden Snowdrops, Cari-Jane Hakes, February 2013
A beautiful thing, carrying on being beautiful in secret, just for the sake of it.  Mostly unwatched, untended, untutored, unstructured.

A reminder of sorts of how to 'be'.  Being beautiful, gracious, kind and patient - even when no one is looking!  It's a tall order, but I'll give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful thing to come across in the woods unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. Spring must be on its way! I remember discovering the blanket of trillium that sprung up from the receding snowline in the woods in my parents' back yard. It was like a miracle they could grow from such frozen soil. They really knew how to sneak up on us, and they were almost camouflaged by their white petals blending with the snow. Thanks for giving me a pleasant memory of home Cari-Jane!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...