Thursday, January 17, 2013

Some introspective musings on the passing of time

I am glad to report that I did indeed RUN into my forties.  I left the village where I now live, a 39 year old and returned some time later just a fraction older, but significantly so.

I thought about why I did this.  I wondered about its significance and mused on it for a while.

40 years ago, 40 miles almost exactly due south from where I am now, I was born in a Royal Air Force hospital.  The hospital as it stands now, is a ruin.  Ravaged by neglect, misuse and abuse (you can find out more about this building here).

RAF Nocton Hall by Ched Cheedles on flickr
RAF Nocton Hall Hospital by Matt Smith on flickr
Vacant by Chris Hughes on flickr
Having never lived longer than 5 years at any one address and now, finding myself almost back where I started, it just seemed appropriate to keep moving, to run, to not be stationary at the appointed hour.  And so I ran, the aim, perhaps, a vain attempt not to end up looking like Nocton Hall, a place that has indeed seen better days.

Coming back up the hill, to my new home full to the brim with gathered family from far north and south I listened to Laura Marling's 'Goodbye England (Covered in Snow)' and wondered if in the accumulated dark and the growing cold that had begun to nip at my nose and finger tips if indeed snow clouds were forming.  The lyrics seemed personal and pertinent, working their magic on my restless demeanour.


Carefully and considerately after all our gathered guests and family had dispersed back to their own homes it did indeed begin to snow.  It was a beautiful thing to behold.  I bet even Nocton Hall looked good with its make over of white and frost!

January 14, 2013

2 comments:

  1. I dare say you (and/or your soul) looks good with that "makeover" (just like Nocton Hall) - that little dusting of Something that brings a slight shift - in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's funny how these milestones birthdays cause us to reflect on our life more than we do on a daily basis. just too busy doing to take time to think about where we're at and where we're going.

    in the end, whether we're too busy doing or taking time to reflect, time still marches on.........if we're lucky.

    lovely photo of your countryside. how sad nocton hall is. it makes me sad to see these buildings that have so much grace in their bones, completely neglected.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...