Friday, January 25, 2013

A Few Rather Fabulous Things For a Friday

Firstly, this beautiful print arrived in the post.  I have had my eye on it for some time and the occasion of my birthday seemed like a good time to acquire it.  The piece is by Lauren Gray (you can find out more about her here).  Her pyrography is like nothing I have ever seen.  This woman draws like an angel.  I'm so happy to have one of her prints in my home.
Woman Reading by Lauren Gray on Etsy
Other wonderful things have been turning up in the post round these parts.  Dauvit Alexander, a fellow jeweller who hails from my home town of Glasgow in Scotland, sent me a pair of silver antlers which were left over from some projects he has been working on.  Behold, the fierceness of his creation below!

Spoon Skull pendant with Antlers by Dauvit Alexander
Dauvit's work has a real majestical quality to it.  Every piece he produces always surprises me - dark gothic humour in a head on collision with 'reduce, reuse, recycle' (to quote 'Bob the Builder).  I am honoured to have a set of these antlers to incorporate into my work.  They will provide the perfect jump start to the stalled 'Into The Wild' series which is STILL waiting to be soldered together.

'Into The Wild' prototype pendant, Cari-Jane Hakes
You can find out more about Dauvit's work here.

Elsewhere this week I've enjoyed watching this:


Oliver Jeffers Author Film 2013 from Oliver Jeffers on Vimeo.

and have been giggling over this by Arran Moffat:



And yes, you would be right in detecting a somewhat celtic air to the proceedings here - well, it is Burn's Night after all!  For all other displaced Scots the world over, slap Caledonia on by Dougie MacLean and join me in toasting the Haggis!

8 comments:

  1. 1. Must but myself a birthday treat too
    2. Curious to see the drag with those antlers
    3. Must check out that guys books
    4. Thanks for the dose of inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fascinating... I am really intrigued to see what you do with those elements. I'm so glad I sent these. There could be a whole exhibition about how different artists deal with a pair of silver antlers. Perhaps we should think about that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! This would be EPIC...time to put my thinking cap on.

      Delete
  3. That looks fascinating... I am really intrigued to see what you do with those elements. I'm so glad I sent these. There could be a whole exhibition about how different artists deal with a pair of silver antlers. Perhaps we should think about that?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello cari
    appreciated your visit chez moi x
    belated happy birthday - wish i were 40 again
    47 now yuk but still running around...
    the print is beautiful and actually reminds me of your sketches
    hope blighty is brighty for you and yours
    cheers linda x ... ***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blighty is shining brightly thank you Linda x

      Delete
  5. The Lauren Grey pic is lovely! Have just favourited something else by her on Etsy to remember for later :) Hope you had a marvellous birthday x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...