Friday, December 7, 2012

A Fabulous Friday Feeling

And so, a home has been found and boxes have been moved and moved and unpacked and a new life has begun to unfold in a gracious old house on the edges of a wild wood we have yet to explore (but on first impressions it seems to be stuffed full of ambling pheasants and a few shy deer).


Precious pebbles and pictures and small possessions have been hastily shown their new lodgings and have been left to discuss their arbitrary placement among themselves.  I have assured them, I will be back, but there are more pressing matters to attend to!


Between here and there I catch the light and familiarise myself with the way it moves round these new spaces.  I measure time and distance, judge heights and lengths in this unfamiliar territory.  Over the past week and the days leading up to the 'big move' I kept remembering a poem by Sheenagh Pugh titled 'Sometimes':


Sometimes things don't go, after all,
from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel
faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail,
sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.
 
A people sometimes step back from war;
elect an honest man; decide they care
enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.
Some men become what they were born for.
 
Sometimes our best efforts do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen: may it happen to you


I remembered this poem because it is rare to set out on a quest, to move your family from one place to another, to find a home that you fall in love with and to move into that home.  It is a rare and beautiful thing to have things line up and fall into your lap.  A gracious gift.  I am thankful and grateful in equal measure.


I bought this little house as an early Christmas present for the Hybrid Handmade Husband (I wrote about it previously here), it seemed only right to turn it into House Warming gift.

And for the record, following on from the last post - I think my letter to Santa would include: red wellingtons, white ink and a calligraphy set with dark grey papers to practice on.

I feel the need to see the year out with a December Desktop calendar, even though it is a little hopelessly late.  I shall be back with that one in due course mes amis!

10 comments:

  1. This poem moves every molecule of my being.... may it happen to each of us...

    Thank you for this, and thank you for going searching and finding home once again... it is a hopeful sign at this time of year... at any time of year actually....

    P Cruickshank-Schott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! It is a rather good poem, isn't it.

      Delete
  2. wonderul news my friend. I was hoping that was what you'd been up to. It sounds like perfect place at the edge of the woods. Can't wait to see what you find. So glad the search was relatively quick and that you're already moving in.

    lovely poem. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh indeed Pam, much quietness on the blogging front often means that a whole lot of shifting and shoving is going on. That and a distinct lack of internet signal!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this poem Mme Hakes. I am going to keep a copy of it. Sometimes everything is good. Sometimes, not everything is good. I'm glad that your times right now, are very good. Mrs L

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous post Cari-Jane. How wonderful to be in your new home for Christmas-wishing you many happy times there sweetie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline - I'm looking forward to catching up on my blog reading now that the internet is up and running. I've missed finding out what everyone is up to!

      Delete
  5. happy for you and yours
    in your new abode
    just in time for christmas
    x ... ***

    [that poem: food for thought}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I think of you when I'm skidding around on the ice and crunching around on the frosty grass - I think 'hmmm, Linda would NOT like this'. Viva Sunny Spanish Winters!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...