Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Light on the Horizon

Light is in short supply round these parts at this time of year.  A creeping darkness begins to unfurl and tuck itself round all the houses by mid afternoon.  I find myself racing out at this time to catch the last bits of luminescence. I parcel it up and save it for later.


At this time I'm collecting finely drawn sillouettes and looking for textures and juxtapositions of colour and tone.

There is a kind of magical thirty minutes just before dusk, when the light renders everything with an insistent intensity.  A fanfare of sorts, before dipping, prematurely it seems, below and away. Today I managed to sneak out to go 'fishing' in my new temporary territory.  Testing the waters.



The houses begin to light up like lanterns around this time and they reveal their interiors for a short time before the gathering darkness propels their inhabitants to draw the curtains and regain their privacy.

And the ground my friends, oh in places it is a carpet of copper!  I dig right in and under with my boots and shuffle right through it!



8 comments:

  1. Ah, the season I miss...real autumns and winters. Carpets of leaves, skeleton trees and that pre-dusk light. I remember living in Edinburgh mid winter(for a short while) and the mid afternoon light fading.

    Enjoy my dear, not everyone finds leaves to kick boots through....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edinburgh - ohhh - even more dark and mysterious at this time of year! My brother lives even further north than that - I think it must start getting dark around 2pm!! But, he has his turn in the summer when it never really seems to get dark!

      Delete
  2. Lovely pics and you conjure up this atmospheric time of year so well. I love the mellow golden glow of the sun vainly trying to show through mist first thing in morning at the moment behind our oak tree. And even on the greyest of grim days, those piles of turmeric leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed indeed! And welcome Andrea! I've just checked out your rather amazing salami making skills on your blog! (Now there is a sentence I never thought I'd write!)

      Delete
  3. What a beautifully written post, and the pictures are just as lovely. Thank you for that tribute to a wonderful time of day and year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth! Thank you for taking the time to drop by! I hope all went well with The Workhouse event.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. 'tis rather eye popping, mais non? No spanish winter sunshine here (errm, obviously) but there is definitely something rather special about the afternoon angle of the light here which seems to pick up and punch out the colours in a rather arresting way.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...