Monday, November 19, 2012

New Horizons

I admit.  I am yet to make friends with this new aqueous neighbour.  I pass it on journeys here and there.  It is a solid presence, somewhat threatening, as if at any moment it might spill over.  The volume of water contained between the banks and the force of its movement is both majestic and menacing.

The Humber, 19 November 2012
From other vantage points on the elevated dales this slice of water shimmers innocently, a silvered bright sparkling surface, hunkered in the landscape.

I shall have to go and walk along its receded edge some day soon.  Perhaps on a frosted wintery day, when the wind is still and the surface is less agitated.  Perhaps then, I can shake its hand, become its friend, begin to build a bridge of sorts between where I was and where I am now.  Perhaps then, I can find a level, and balance this new horizon and begin again.

13 comments:

  1. no time like the present. wear your wellies and tromp along the edge. just don't fall in. it looks quite cold. beautiful spot though, i'm sure it will feel like home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellies and tromping sounds good!!

      Delete
    2. absolutely! right A? Jump in with both feet (not literally of course). Forge ahead!

      Delete
    3. You know....I still NEED wellies! I managed 4 years in rural France with leather boots and some waterproof rough fabric things but I think the time has come to find some red wellies.

      Delete
  2. You know you are already 'home' wherever you wander. It's just a matter of finding where you left everything. I wish you a stillness within during this transition. Much love, Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of shaking hands with a new home and a new environment. cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear there are good pebbles to be found down that way - so perhaps I will HAVE to go on a 'fishing' trip which may involve some hand shaking also.

      Delete
  4. where to start ms:
    your man is a style star: you must be proud
    the house hunting can be fun/but stressful all the same
    the little dwelling selections are great... especially the incense burner delight - think i may have to treat myself for christmas
    and finally ***
    'the humber' ummm that is near goole! YUK
    bit cold humid and grey for my taste! bon courage mon ami
    bis xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I am rather liking the scrabbly tamed wildness of the dales (which is more where I am) - lots of wild creatures, dear and pheasants. Not so cold yet - although it will be. But you know what they say....no such thing a bad weather, only bad clothing! (I think it is a Russian phrase, and they should know a thing or two about 'bad' weather).
      That aside...they don't really do winter where you are now do they?

      Delete
    2. winter is now a half baked affair/soft in the centre
      exactly to my taste. although gotta say the dales are beautiful
      i got married in 1991 in leyburn (great venue/bad choice of husband -
      another story i fear!} x

      Delete
  5. are you i yorkshire? did I tell you before that's where my gram and gramps where from? Bradford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed! And proud to be in fact. It is far enough North for me to feel perhaps a little closer to Scotland.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...