Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Heave Ho and Off We Go!

I'm not big of 'stuff'.  I've moved enough times (this is my 20th move, I am yet to live in one spot for longer than 5 years) to know that an accumulation of things just slows the whole process down.  I have become adept at free-cycling, re-cycling and generally shedding anything that isn't beautiful, useful or important.  That said, when your 'stuff' includes your professional life the amount of things you need to move inevitably increases.

The move from France involved packing a lot of tools.  Jewellery making tools, house making tools and a lot of surf boards!

Cedric and the trailer, ready for the off, France move 2012
So, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't quite edit it down to fit into my grandfather's old suitcase!  


And so a slow and steady shift to the north ensued.  Shunting beneath the English Channel and emerging into a bright, sunlit Dover.  The trees, in a more advanced stage of autumn-ness, put on a good show of displaying all the pantone colour shades and hues and tones that are available from the 'naturals' palette.  A creeping early darkness surprised me, tucking in and under us by the early afternoon.  

Packing up in London, October 2012
For reasons of economic necessity and fragility we did the move ourselves.  The Hybrid Handmade Husband and myself hefted and heaved our architectural 'baggage' which included whole hunks of delicate architectural models that we have no desire to throw away.  Perhaps in our professional lives we have become hoarders of sorts.  

And now, for the moment, we are in limbo.  Waiting for our new life to begin.  I know that in the waiting there will be a need for grace, for patience and understanding.  It is in the waiting that we get tested and refined.  I only hope I make the grade and come out the other side with a quiet and calm spirit.  

You know what.....I reckon I can do it.

11 comments:

  1. I reckon you can too. cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do my best (it's all anyone can do)

      Delete
  2. I know you'll come out the other side and be able to bask in the glow of the possibilities of your new corner of the world, cherishing the memories of France and holding them dear, but ready for the new adventures that await you and your men.

    You've taken a lot of big things in stride this year and I have no doubt you'll continue to do so, all the while noticing and relishing the little things that make life so big and wonderful. It's what I love about you.

    {20 moves!!!!!!! oh man, I've done a few, but not that many...though I just counted up the back and forths to NYC for school, our 'honeymoon' pads and then our home and it does ad up. However,we have so much stuff it's frightening. I tend to be a 'it holds a memory' hoarder.}


    bonne chance mon ami! after all, sometimes these big steps do take a wee bit of courage, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I like the sound of honeymoon pads, I like that there was more than one honeymoon pad :)

      Delete
  3. contemplating a move mid next year.... and have a LOT of stuff. A tad overwhelmed at the thought....too much stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. start early...it takes a LONG time to pick up every single thing you own, ponder its significance and then either pack it lovingly, throw it away unceremoniously or recycle / donate! Phew. I feel I may well do the same process again when we unpack!

      Delete
  4. Am sure though that many good things will come of your move :). on another note, I did some basket weaving today that you might find interesting.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoah *****
    didn't see that coming cari and am wondering why?
    guessing it is career/education related... ?
    gotta say much as i loved living in france for 10 years
    i wish i hadn't stayed soooo long: much happier in spain
    [although more homesick for the UK as i cannot pop back as before}
    anyway enjoy the hiatus and be sure that good things will follow
    x ... ***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - work and school - kind of pretty fundamental stuff really! I've very glad Spain has been a good move for you Linda.

      Delete
  6. Glad you made it safely, and hope that hope that everything gets settled quickly. You've done a better job in moving than I ever did. Each time we moved we had more, more, more, but we used it as a time to purge as well. It's time to do that again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with a growing family it is only natural that there is more stuff. This is the first time I've moved as 4 people....but yes, I agree, moving forces you to evaluate the stuff you have.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...