Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Fabulous Friday Feeling on a Sunday

I was treated to a night at the ballet.  It was magical.  It was spellbindingly beautiful.  Hopefully this little video will you an idea of the performance, but really, without the music and the darkness of the theatre surrounding you it is hard to communicate the essence of a live performance.



In the moments when I wasn't caught up entirely in the story it struck me how 'handmade' the whole performance was.  No snazzy wizzy CGI effects, no 3D glasses required here.  I felt the tug of a link between what I do in my workshop and what I saw on the stage.

balletLORENT's Rapunzel (click here for information on the photographer)
The metal work of the stage set, the costumes and the props - all 'one offs', all original and unique.  The knowledge and an appreciation of the time it takes to produce such things added immeasurably to the experience for me.

balletLORENT's Rapunzel (for credit see above link)
What's more, the venue made the performance accessible and affordable.  It really was the most fabulous Friday I've had in a wee while.

11 comments:

  1. What a fascinating and beautiful interpretation. I'm glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks absolutely magical. there is nothing like seeing a live performance on stage. i haven't been to ballet in years. so glad you enjoyed a wonderful friday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it really was! And, like Andrea, I have been living in an area for the last 4 years where there really wasn't access to this kind of thing. I appreciated it all the more for that.

      Delete
  3. I love the connection you make between the illusion created visually at the performance and what you do as a creative artist. Do you suppose it is because both depend equally on the viewer's creative participation in the process? I will keep thinking about that.

    I'm so glad you got to go "away" in your imagination in such a wonderful way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, Elizabeth, you've got me thinking now too! I think all art demands some kind of participation from us the viewer - in some instances our involvement can just be a knee jerk reaction - but oh - it is a wonderful thing to find the piece or the performance that transports you out of your everyday life and into some other place.

      Delete
  4. Im a bit green here, it has been a long time since I have soaked up anything cultural. Our best bet locally is the cinema, and the festivals that do the rounds...but no nights at the ballet or opera.

    That said I hope to take trouble when he is older.

    Meanwhile, has this sort of set design work ever interested you? I have a friend that used to do it, and another who still does (he worked on the construction of the dawn trader (chronicles of narnia)but the design would be a whole other gambit. Imagine the imaginings, the little journeys of the mind you could go on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I hear you! Just so you know, I do realise how lucky I am having just emerged from a place where there wasn't even a cinema (just i tunes on my computer!).

      Delete
  6. Stunning! You lucky lady! I could see you collaborating on this project - it seems like a larger scale of your work...

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness - that would be a dream come true! May be one day.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...