Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wen-saturday

There is no school on a Wednesday here in France.  A good friend of mine (Mrs L) coined the phrase 'Wen-saturday' which I feel more than adequately describes the feeling of this mini midweek 'weekend'.

Wen-saturday is normally a day when the house gets pulled to bits.  Caves and forts and houses get made out of duvets, pillows and cushions.  Toy boxes are up-ended to provide essential 'structure' to these constructions.  Then, we often all escape into the wilds of the forest or the coast on our bikes.

But today it rained.  And a magical thing happened.  For a good 20 minuets everything went quiet. We sat and we drew and doodled.  It was such a rare occurrence that I had to grab my camera and stick the self-timer on to capture the moment.

Wednesday 17 October 2012, 10:23 am
As I moved the green lamp over so we could see what we were doing, the arrangement reminded me of another quiet, concentrated space that I photographed many years ago.  The lamps there are made of a studious green glass and glowed like a sea of luminous jellyfish, hovering above the deep dark wooden desks.
Bibliothéque Sainte-Geneviéve, Paris
The library like quietness in the Hybrid Handmade House did not last long - but it was nice while it did.

11 comments:

  1. say what? is every wednesday WenSaturday?

    damn. i know a lot of kids who will want to move to france.

    love that picture of you and the boys. Is that a painting of you with one of the boys as a baby behind you? enjoy our wensaturday and for now i'll live vicariously through you as i'm busy at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It does feel rather luxurious for them - they do have a much longer school day for the remaining 4 days though.

      And yes - eagle eyed Pamela! - a painting of me with baby boy number one, painted by one of my sister's talented friends.

      Delete
  2. ps- did I ever tell you I worked in the libary on campus all through college? I loved that job. Well, except on Saturday mornings when I had to open and manage after a late night. Other than that, I truly loved the quiet of the place and the smell of the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do rather like the idea of being a librarian. I did help out in my school library for a bit. Saturday mornings sound a bit like hard work!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely moment! I got a warm feeling as I read this as I remembered my moments of building forts and drawing on rainy days as a young girl, and thinking how exciting it will be to do the same with my son. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is rather amazing what you can build with a sofa throw and 4 stools!

      Delete
  4. This is what I love about having a blog - recognizing a moment like this and actually having it on record! (how I long for a raining Wen-Saturday!)

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I generally always have my little compact camera around - probably THE most essential blogging tool.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...