Thursday, September 6, 2012

All those who wander....

I don't mind telling you, this necklace has been difficult.  I made a prototype of this design back in June (you can read more about it here) which turned out well and allowed a considered conceptual conversation to evolve.  I was desperate to see how it would look in silver.  And perhaps is was my impatience that caused the problems.  In any-case, it is now finished!

All Those Who Wander...., September 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
I must say, I am rather pleased with the 'floating' anti-gravity silver pebble.  It is of course held in place with a teeny tiny double pin brooch catch on the back (made from scratch).


Detail to back of the wandering pebble, September 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
I chose this delicate silver ball chain to continue the wandering lines that are drilled into the pebble.  I wanted the chain to pick up where the dotted path left off and the form of the ball chain delicately continues the rhythm of that perforated path like no other chain could do.  But, it is a tricky component to work with.  Oh my.  Making the connections between the pebble and the chain were very challenging.

All Those Who Wander...., detail of pendant as worn, September 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
That said, the chains do what I wanted them to do, they continue the paths, they drape, they cross over and hang beautifully.

All Those Who Wander...., September 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
The next time I make one of these at least I'll be walking down a well worn path, with notes to guide me and the benefit of experience.

detail of pebble, September 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
The struggle was worth it though.  Have you noticed, this is often how it is!

12 comments:

  1. this is truly amazing
    your attention detail rocks
    {and struggle is
    as struggling we do}
    x ...

    ***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Linda - and here's to struggle! and the good things that come of it!

      Delete
  2. It is absolutely stunning! I love how it has a brooch so that the necklace will never wander. That is one of the things that I hate most about some of my necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Laura. Yes, necklaces do have a tendency to wander....

      Delete
  3. Oh my word cari-Jane-beautiful. You are incredibly clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE. the necklace and your dimples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to HATE my dimples when I was little (I got teased)!

      Delete
  5. I love the flow across the top of the pendant and the paired negative space of the link. The pendant back is as lovely as the front. Innovative, too. Yes, the struggle defines the result as it defines the maker. We never remember the easy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Monique - this is so true! Your right - we DON'T remember the easy stuff!

      Delete
  6. Well done - the catch itself is lovely and a clever solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Genevieve - I have a few variations on this design planned.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...