Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Home is where the heart is

I've spent the last few weeks in our London home, packing, cleaning and packing.  We haven't officially lived there since we accidentally moved to France four years ago (for more on that and the rest of an interview I did with Kate of Crafts on Sea click here) but it was a very important 'home' for us.  We took it from a blown out old factory shell and made it into the place where we brought up our two baby boys and established our architectural business.

Colour of Love, day 9, Mercantile Muse Photography Challenge
As I packed away the personal belongings we had used to furnish the place (to make it easier to sell) I looked around at the bare walls and walked through the echoey spaces and didn't really recognise the place.  It had had all its soul and personality sucked out of it.  It had become a shell again.  There were no sad emotions here, there is nothing there made of brick and plaster, concrete and wood that I wish to hold onto.  All the bits that are important I carry with me.  I have taken my 'home' with me.  Upwards and onwards mes amis!

15 comments:

  1. i'd say your soul has settled into france like a well worn pair of blue jeans.

    i bet it feels good to be home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'home' here in France is good, but you know, London was good fun too for a month, I surprise myself at how easy it is to adapt to very different ways of living!

      Delete
  2. I am thinking Pamela is correct!!! You are so brave and bold!! Onwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!! I want to do this. I have a star made of twigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is actually a little 'tutorial' on this in the tabs below the header if your interested!

      Delete
  4. I've moved that many times that I really think it home is a combination of the place that is right at the time, the love and energy that you invest in it, and the people and love in it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to be that brave and think of moving us all on to pastures new Cari-Jane. Funny how easy it is to get stuck in a rut without realizing until you hear exciting stories like yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as I said, moving country 'accidentally' worked for us - at least we didn't 'over think' anything!!

      Delete
  6. I can imagine your goodbye. I think it's that moment where you're sweeping the floor as you walk out the door backwards that makes you realise it's really the end! Goodbye to a little part of life that was wonderful, and exactly - onwards....wherever the path may lead you! Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to do that final final bit...

      Delete
  7. I agree with Andrea. You will on so many occasions yet to come, look around you, and find everything that really matters is what you can reach out and hug, and what hugs you back! We do invest emotionally in our "things", but frequent adjustments and changes tend to make the parting much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh indeed! And in fact, the whole packing things in boxes makes you realise how much stuff we cart around with us. I recycled and gave away so many heavy books and clothes and other such things - I was determined to have as few boxes as possible. Living lightly may become my new mantra.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...