Monday, June 25, 2012

Loopy about Lupins


I've been sketching these little inflated flower pods this weekend.  They have a kind of boat shaped / keel like portion which remains sealed at the top until the seed pod takes over the fragility of the whole composition.



Lupins, June 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
The world needs more lupins in my humble opinion and I'm doing my bit to this end by having a little lupin nursery by my back door.  I have 10 or 15 little lupins ready to plant and hopefully one day I'll be able to look out and see something a bit like this!  (Photograph by Simon Verrall)



Elsewhere today, I finished a particularly difficult handmade chain.  It took FOREVER to make.  It took so long I began to doubt in my ability to make this kind of work commercially viable.  As it turns out - this piece is a gift and so the commercial element doesn't really come into it.  More pictures of this rather lovely piece soon!  Until then mes amis, don't forget to stop and smell the flowers.

Handmade chain checking, June 2012

17 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this flower. I love how your eye sees the architecture in everything... I wonder how this will seep into your designs.

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a typically British country garden kind of a flower - so I am introducing it to the French - I hope they approve!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful new blog header - lovely chignon, and yes, I agree that lupins are delightful. We had a lot up in les Alpes...and I found it wonderful that something so strong and sturdy could look so delicate and precious. Much love, Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - chignon is a little bit unravelling - but isn't it wonderful that the French have such a nice word for it, the hairstyle that is, rather than the English word 'bun'...which is just a bit plain and dull as far as words go.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see the necklace Cari-Jane. The lupins and your photos are gorgeous. And how much do I love your studio...! :-) Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always LOVE looking at other people's studios too! Photos of the new piece are currently in edit mode.

      Delete
  4. Lupins...they poke their heads up to say "HERE I AM!!!!". I have one solitary one in my garden but it is shouting that it is there...in all its pinkness! Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Rachael - you NEED more lupins in your life! But good that the one you have is at least PINK!

      Delete
    2. I do I do. Was pondering that thought this afternoon in a rare hot day over here. I like tall flowers...lupins, foxgloves, stocks, hollyhocks. Reminds me of a picture in my favourite childhood book...Victoria Plum. Do you remember?

      Delete
    3. Victoria Plum DOES ring a bell - and your right - tall flowers are rather fabulous - you have reminded me that I need to add some floxgloves - I think these might be typically 'English country garden' also.

      Delete
  5. I love lupins too but mine have been wrecked by an army of slugs this year... they were literally dripping with slime!! and they were in pots not a leaf left. So sad as I love their leaves and how they store little droplets of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the little globbule of water in the centre of the leaf....peachy!

      Delete
    2. I have photographed said globule of water on a couple of occasions. How annoying to have a crop of lupins destroyed by an army of slugs...

      Delete
  6. i love lupins too. so colorful. i tried them in my garden but they didn't like it. don't think they're a true 'perenial'. they need space to reseed themselves. but my sister in law has a whole field across from her house. so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! You must photograph it sometime - it must look amazing!

      Delete
  7. I like foxgloves.. Do you like foxgloves? They always send me off into childhood fairy story land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE foxgloves - NEED some to add to the mix!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...