Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When I grow up I STILL want to be a potter

Back in 2010 I revealed here that really, when I grow up, I want to be a potter, or to put it more accurately, a ceramicist.


Well today, I saw the work of Clare Mahoney of CRM Ceramics and it reminded me again of that small childhood dream that was sparked by looking into the studio space of a 'potter in residence' at a National Trust property up in Scotland.


Clare's work totally distracted me from a rather tricky soldering job for a good while and I kept flicking back to these images to enjoy again the pebble forms, the indigo, blue and cyanotype hues, the botanical prints and winged creatures.


CRM Ceramics, photograph by Jon Rolfe
CRM Ceramics, photograph by Jon Rolfe
Elsewhere today on the bench, what began here as a sewn sycamore seeds is beginning to unfold, in an articulated, architectural way writ in silver and gold.  It is a rather fine thing in deed, even if I do say so myself!
work in progress, sycamore, Cari-Jane Hakes May 2012
work in progress, sycamore, Cari-Jane Hakes May 2012 
I can actually get this piece to balance on its back, it rocks slightly, arcs upwards and hovers, each end curved in a tethered levitation.  It is a labour of love.

12 comments:

  1. Those ceramic pebbles are absolutely beautiful! I love the patterns, images, and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes indeed...just got distracted by them AGAIN as I headed down here to chat with all you lovely people!

      Delete
  2. How beautiful these pieces are I have a huge glass and pottery collection, my sons father is a potter!Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would love to have a whole collection of these pieces! I shall add it to my 'when my ship comes in' list along with a hydraulic press (for making hollow forms in silver) and a comfy chair (I don't own ANY comfortable furniture...this is NOT good).

      Delete
  3. I have always been fascinated by ceramic-making. It is such a nice material to touch. My aunt use to paint on ceramics and so did both my granddads, but it's the making of it that looks appealing to me. In my list of things to do there is definitely a ceramic class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, me too! I did go to one a few years back. Thanks for taking the time to comment bobbi - I loved flicking through your blog - in particular the Pablo Picasso quote 'Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.' Like it!

      Delete
  4. love how the sycamore helicopter (that's what we call them and maple pods because of the way they fall to earth) is progressing. LOVE the pottery. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pam - finished the bespoke catch for the fastening at the back. A very complicated thing to make but worth the time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too...re "when I grow up", in fact I discovered your blog through your post on visiting Bernard leach studio ( sure that was your post). I did a few years 'one afternoon a week" apprenticeship when I was at school...would love to pick it up again- that and painting. I love hand building and the more sculptural aspects of pottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need a couple of lifetimes to fit all the things in I'd love to do - one is just too short!

      Delete
  7. sycamore....reminds me, particularly the original 'natural' iteration, beautifully of Andy Goldsworthy (Rivers and Tides). I am excited to see more of the necklace in it's metal form!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off to go and finish it the morning Tom - so I will be posting some 'finished product' photos very soon - think I'm going to need another cup of coffee to keep me going though...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...