Friday, May 4, 2012

A Rather Remarkable Fabulous Friday Feeling

I was completely captivated by these buttons whilst in Liberty, London after the Sania Pell book launch.  Let's start with their shape, decidedly pebble like and very similar to shapes that I draw as a foundation for many of my designs.  So you see, there was no way I could leave without taking a few with me.

Buttons from Liberty, London
The detail is really rather remarkable and leaves me wondering if they are carved by hand or a very delicate careful machine.

Liberty buttons, detail
They now sit on my workshop table waiting for a free moment, although I have already begun sketching some designs in my mind; minimal necklaces, flat rings, each adorned with these little bits of ivory, grey and creamy white.

Elsewhere this week, the shadows cast by this sea holly leaf had me reaching for my camera.




I really have no words to describe this fragile brilliance so I will just let the photographs speak for themselves.

And where, I hear you cry, is the 'Fabulous Friday Feeling'?  Well, that came in the shape of a call from the Hybrid Handmade Husband, very early in the morning, 2am if I am not mistaken.  He simply had to call though to let me know that he won 'Footwear Designer of the Year' at the Drapers' Awards in London last night.  I'm rather speechless on this too - suffice to say my heart is full to bursting with admiration and respect for all that he has achieved with this project.

Julian Hakes London, The Mojito 
Don't forget to click and comment here to be in with a chance to win in the Hybrid Handmade 2nd blog-iversary giveaway!

Bon Weekend mes amis!




4 comments:

  1. Congrats to the Jman!!! Woohoo!!! oh man, and you just missed being with him when he found out by a few days. ah well, i'm sure you'll have a grand toast to the Draper when you're with each other next.

    That really is something. Good man Julian!

    that leaf is really something too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Pam - hope all goes well with you and your Father this following week.

      Delete
  2. ......no doubt about it, the design of that shoe is great --- the photographs of that leaf are UNTOUCHABLE! You just have to do something with them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you guys are all loving the leaf photographs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...