Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Thoughts for a Tuesday

As a relatively new gardener I am often struck, as I work under the sky in this little piece of the Earth that has been entrusted to my care, of the parallels, the metaphors and the analogies that one can draw between a garden and life, human life and human endeavor.


Season follows season, the progress is inevitable, predictable, dependable - but it still surprises me.  Just before it starts, the utter deadness seems irreversible.  A barren bareness of harsh tones settles like a density that you almost have to push through, cut through, wade through in tall, big boots.


In life we all have these fallow periods.  Life gets quiet, our productivity reduces and we panic!  We fret and worry about our lack of visibility in the world and the decrease in our output.  We probably neglect these times of rest that occur (or that are carved out for us). We don't believe that they are for our own good, we don't trust that they are a season that will pass, that once we have learned what we needed to learn we will move on, it will run its course.


The exciting thing about this analogy is that I don't think the seasons of our life are linear.  Our life is not divided neatly into a progression from spring through to winter.  I do believe we can go straight from winter into summer and that we might well find ourselves in another spring season later in life!  I must say, I'm rather looking forward to that!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I posted with some trepidation as I don't tend to philosophise on this blog (other people do it so much better) - but I kept it short and simple and decided to go for it.

      Delete
    2. I am glad you did... It got me thinking about my own seasons over the last year, and that I am ready for a fallow period.
      You are right. We need the seasons to recover, rejuvenate, and then get busy and productive again. I think Previously when farming was more common people lived more by seasons, and had winter fsllow periods... We forget we still need them.

      Delete
    3. I've often wondered about that too Andrea as I watch the farmers here working late into the night through the summer and then after autumn, I imagine them tucking up their tractors in a cozy barn and settling themselves down by a wood fire to sit the winter out. Resting.

      Delete
  2. you're very clever... I like this analogy alot. cx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...