Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

I have created a bit of a tradition of making the one and only Valentine's day 'card' that I give at this time of the year (see here for the one that started the whole thing off).

This year, inspiration is everywhere on Pinterest.  The one pictured below caught my eye a few months ago and so I pinned it to my 'things to make and do' board and decided I would try it out for this year's Valentine's day 'card'.


To see the post where this image originates click here and the link will take you to Danielle's Minimoz blog where she has posted a helpful tutorial.

I happened to have a hibernating shadow box frame which has been waiting for years to become something.

I decided to use ariel photographs of the places where me and my Valentine MET (Marlybone, London, 1994), MARRIED (Cambridge, 1999) and live, MAISON (ici, en France 2012).

Met, Married, Maison, 14 February 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
For added intrigue and interest I printed the photos out at the same scale - I think this is a little detail that will amuse the Hybrid Handmade Husband.

Married, detail, Valentine's Day 'card' 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
I stuck each little map onto a pice of thick cardboard before mounting it on the frame's back plate.  The cardboard is cut a little smaller than the photographic heart to create a little extra shadow and give a bit of relief to the composition.  A little extra heart drawn onto each photograph with a fine black fiber pen pinpoints each location.

Met, Married, Maison, 14 February 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
A hint of red
Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm ever so impressed. I do love a good map and I'm rather partial to alliteration too. cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have an inbuilt compulsion to alliterate - I keep wondering if it is something that I will grow out of...but no. And I thought this was very noths style when I finished it - mais non?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...