Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Because that is what I do..

Can you imagine going into a shop and seeing a dress you really like.  They have it in yellow, blue, red and they don't have it in your size.  But you really love the dress.  So you speak to the owner.  Does it come in green? You ask and you tell her your size.  She tells you - no problem - I'll source some green fabric and make another one up in your size!  Come back next week and you can pick it up!

I'm not sure that this is very a common occurrence on the high street or in your local shopping centre but it happens here.  I'm writing about it because I think that delivering that kind of service is pretty special.  It's a rare thing.  But it's what I do and I'm proud of it.

Silver Malachite Stacking Ring by Cari-Jane Hakes
A fellow Etsyian contacted me after seeing my Silver Chalcedony Stacker ring (you can see it too by clicking here).  She liked it but did I have any other stones?  I told her the colours I had but I also told her I would be going to London and could source any colour she liked and I would make the ring up on my return to my workshop.  She told me she liked green.  Dark green to be more specific.

I went hunting in Hatton Gardens (the jewellery quarter in London) and found THE most perfect 8mm dark green malachite cabochon.  I made the ring up yesterday, to her size, so it will fit perfectly and it will be the perfect colour for her.

Stacking Rings by Cari-Jane Hakes
Hopefully she can stack it up with some other favourites and take it out on an adventure!

If you are a maker of hand made things please feel free to link to your shop in the comments and tell us how you go the extra mile for your customers - or if there is a particular detail or technique that you use that just wouldn't been seen on a mass produced item.

Also, check out this post by Pamela Bates over on the Merchantile Muse for some most excellent writing on this topic.

6 comments:

  1. isn't this one of the great things about creating things? i love creating for creating's sake, but it also makes me very happy when a customer asks about customizing a design and I can oblige. I'm currently working on 3 custom name art pieces for a return customer who has them made for co-workers (how great is THAT!). I am always open to custom work, I've tweaked many of my designs to suit someones taste. This illustration has been customized from this original to teal colorways for a customer:http://www.etsy.com/listing/86551222/wall-art-chevron-print-original-chevron

    great post, and i do think it is what sets us small handmade business owners apart. it's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending me the link to your original post Pam!

      Delete
  2. For anyone reading these comments Cari did the same for me- I commissioned two pieces for my wedding with beautiful results personalised with some significant one off details like leaf imprint from the tree we planned to get married under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just looking at pictures of the pieces I made for you today Andrea!

      Delete
  3. I am co owner of Kouture Crochet ( http://www.kouturecrochet.com/ ) One thing I love doing for my customers is custom sizing. My standard scarf size is 6 inches by 60inches. I have set up so that a person can add more than 45 inches to the length if they wanted. On etsy they have to connect me, but on my website they can just order it there. I have custom made ties for weddings and love doing whatever I can to make customers happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karia, sounds good to me! Some people like little teeny tiny scarves and some like them almost as big a a duvet!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...