Monday, January 2, 2012

To resolve, or not to resolve....that is the question.

I couldn't write yesterday.  Yesterday felt like it should be a post all about new beginnings, resolutions, big plans and the like.  

The thing is, I don’t do New Year’s resolutions. No disrespect to those that do but I just don’t.  And so, out of respect for those that do, I didn’t write. 
  
For me, every day is a chance to renew, to try harder, to aim higher, to eat better, to run further, to be more patient and to speak more kindly.  At the end of most days I regard the things I didn’t do or the things I could have done better.  The words I did say and the words I should have said (or should not have said).  I try not to let the failures bother me.  I just resolve to get up the next day and do better. 





I don’t believe the hype that life will be better, shinier and brighter when I’m thiner, or I own a certain car, or earn a certain amount of money or live in a particular place. I am not waiting for any ship to come in.  It would be great if it did, but I’ll be fine if it doesn’t. The time is now.  Today IS the day.  Let's just wring it dry and live all of it. 

There is that well worn mantra that is bandied around in corporate circles which goes ‘failure isn’t an option’.  Well, I’ve decided, failure is an option.  I know that I will fail, at something, everyday.  I’ve also decided, I’ll just get up the next day and try again.  I’ll review it a little, make some adjustments and then try again.  I reckon two steps forward and three steps back is good too if your learning something in both directions.

So, when you do fail on a few of your resolutions don’t wait till next year to make a whole set of new ones (or the same ones).  Just join me, everyday, and swing your legs out of bed and when they hit the floor declare “IT'S SHOW TIME!” and just get on with being brilliant / kind / patient /faster....

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful sentiments which I aim to echo. Nightly reflection and morning resolutions are the backbone of my life. As I wake up now, before putting my feet on the ground, yours are probably growing weary and ready for reflection. I hope you had a good day, I know I'll have a good day, and I'm grateful for everything in between. Mrs L xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this way of thinking :)
    I don't make resolutions since they can be lofty. But I do set annual goals. I like goals because they are measurable and quantifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I like that way of abbreviating it - Nightly reflections, Morning resolutions.

    And yes - goals for the year, goals are all good, we'd all just be bumbling along if we didn't keep a bigger picture in mind.

    Thank you for your comments ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I loved this post and in light of everybody's posts about shiny resolutions I was feeling a little bit gloomy about not making some of my own. Goals are good, but resolution should be for every day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jana! I love the article you just tweeted - that would have been a good quote for me to include in this post. I shall include it here for good measure!

    "Hang on to your hat. Hang on to your hope. And wind the clock, for tomorrow is another day." E.B. White

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a resolution maker. At least, not at the new year. I resolve things all the time, why wait till the new year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Melody! I think I may have already 'resolved' a good 13 times already this year!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...