Wednesday, January 4, 2012

In Praise of Potting Sheds.

The potting shed (MY potting shed) is a curious little place.  It is tacked onto the back of the Hybrid Handmade house in a rather startling way.  It was obviously casually constructed by the previous owner and is a mish-mash of reclaimed materials.  My hyper-attuned architectural senses told me it should be demolished the moment I first set eyes on it.  However, over time, it has won me over.

Today, it was looking rather fine, basking in the winter sunshine, it has become a little holiday home for vacationing succulent plants; lest they become frost bitten and turn black.  There are watering cans for big people and watering cans for small people.  There are favourite mugs that have become chipped and have therefore been demoted from the kitchen.  They hope that one day they will be used to sprout something or incubate a small sapling.

Le Potting Shed, 4 January 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
Elsewhere, I peg clippings that may become embedded in silver one day as a botanical texture.  A little detail that is becoming a trademark of sorts.

Hydrangea in Waiting,  4 January 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
Leaf Skeletons, 4 January 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
Before arriving in France, my adult life had been an urban one.  The whole gardening thing was something I generally associated with parks and window boxes.  I began to become a little bit more interested when I discovered succulents.  They are just the most crazy amazing plants!

The Long Armed One, Cari-Jane Hakes
Would you just look at this one!  It has been happily growing away for the last year.  Slowly, slowly and then suddenly, I turn my back for a week and it sprouts these enormous arms!  Seemingly from nowhere! They kept growing longer and longer, much to my amusement.

Watering Cans for all Sizes, 4 January 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes
This rough and ready little shed is my definition of 'creative space'.  It's a space that is free of carpet and tile and somehow this lack of domestic detail opens up a whole range of different activities.  Paint can be spilt, chalk lines drawn and soil scattered.  The potting shed (MY potting shed) is not just for pots and plants.  

When the weather begins to turn I will exit my winter atelier and take up residence once again in le potting shed.  Until then, I shall be keeping my eyes on those succulents!

1 comment:

  1. ok, i really need to get some succulents. my sister has some indoors and i love them. the only ones i have are in my garden.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...