Thursday, December 1, 2011

Introducing the Barnacle Ring, in amongst other things.

Do you remember this photograph?  I took it a couple of weeks ago (see here).  I caught it in my 'net'.


The image inspired some musings, some experiments, some buffing and polishing until this emerged from my polishing tank!

The Barnacle Ring, Cari-Jane Hakes, December 2011
The Barnacle Ring, surface detail, Cari-Jane Hakes, December 2011
The 'rock' is made from a nugget of solid sterling silver.  With a little touch of brass the whole ensemble has had a little bit of warmth blown into it.  

Elsewhere today, I caught the moon....

'Oh that I could take the moon from the sky...' earrings by Cari-Jane Hakes, December 2011
Working with silver is like making things out of moonlight.  The metal has a luminosity and clean pure glow that you can't get with any other metal.  These earrings are a homage to this quality.  They are full of romance and promise.

'Oh that I could take the moon from the sky...' surface detail, Cari-Jane Hakes, December 2011
Where I grew up in Scotland I was able to write my diary some nights by the light of the moon.  What a magical kind of light that was!  Just imagine all the secrets that have been kept and told in the light of the moon.  It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

5 comments:

  1. love that ring! Hey, i caught julian's interview about his shoes on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh... much love for the barnacle. Also - I am a fan of the word too. I may put it on my list of favourite words to say. cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea - oh thank you! I love it too! Yes, the interview is good. I told him 'you did good talking!' with the pressure of the camera and all.

    C - it IS a good word, I shall put it on my list also and see how many times I can drop it into casual conversations. I wonder what it translates to in French?? **immediately pull up Babel Fish**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barnacle in french is ..... bernache. On this rare occasion I think the english sounds better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...