Thursday, November 17, 2011

Things to Inspire, things that resonate.

I had to pull together some images today that would go some way to encapsulate the many sources of design inspiration that influence my work and the work of the hybrid handmade husband.  It is actually a hard thing to do.  To pick AN image or a SET of images that will give someone a clue to how you tick, how you design.  When I design and when my husband designs - we aren't really looking at images.  We aren't engineering our designs to emulate something that has already been done.

Things that resonate, November 2011
And so these images, if anything, are images that resonate.  They are images that when we see them there is a moment of recognition.   A school of though, a way of seeing the world and translating it. There is a moment of 'yes, that's what I'm trying to do too!'.  There is a joy in that.  A feeling of not being alone. A knowledge that the designs we produce are part of a milieu, a shared conversation that is connected with common threads.

Links for images:
1. The Fibonacci Series in Architecture from here.
2. Architect Zaha Hadid
3. The London Zoo Penguin Pool by Berthold Lubetkin


4. Pollen under a microscope from here.
5. Ball-Nogues installation for Frank Gehry's jewellery launch.
6. 'Continuum' by Charles O. Perry


7. Palm plant cells under a microscope from here
8.  Barbara Hepworth
9.  Mobius by 3xn


10. Nikolas Weinstein
11. La Chaise, 1948 Ray and Charles Eames
12. Architecture by Morphosis

What images would you choose?  What images would define you, how you design, write, paint, live?

3 comments:

  1. well this collection certainly caught my eye today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes total sense Cari-Jane. I see the Mojito in there... and I think I know your work and blog well enough to differentiate between your image influences and your husband's... Shall I attempt to sort them out? I'm most likely wrong, because who knows the mind of a brilliant designer despite your willingness to share your thoughts but here goes anyway:

    La tienne:
    Fibonacci, Zaha Hadid, pollen, Ball-Nogues, plant cells, Nikolas Weinstein

    Have a great weekend, hope you direct your creativity towards les boules!

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, good guessing! But I think there is an element of entwining with our designs...even I'm not sure which ones belong to who!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...