Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Power of Making - Exhibition, Victoria & Albert Museum, London

I found this wonderful film today.  It served as a reminder for me;  a reminder of why I do what I do.  The independence and control I have over my finished pieces is a sentiment that is echoed by one of the makers in this film.  I seldom have to rely on anyone for any of the processes that I carry out.  Being able to come up with an idea and have the finished piece in my hands by the end of the day is a great feeling.


Power of Making from Victoria and Albert Museum on Vimeo.

The exhibition is on in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London until 2nd January 2012.  You can find out more here.

6 comments:

  1. that was wonderful. it reminds me of this video that etsy had featured awhile ago about the making of linen. how labor and love intesive it was. 'having the power and control from beginning to end'.........does that make us control freaks? it's one of the reasons I started our etsy shop, so i could illustrate for the sake of what 'i' wanted to illustrate. it was getting lost in my work with my customers over the last 17 years. i'm glad to have it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- thought the last statement was so interesting that the kids thought they were 'poor' because they were making things by hand. we really have lost our sensibilities along the way......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the linen video- Be Linen. It's a bit longer but well worth watching. I find it beautiful. I am compltely enamored with the processes of making things.

    http://vimeo.com/16474921?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hashzeta+(Hashzeta+Feed)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how encouraging! thanks for sharing this - wish I could make the exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all most welcome - And Pam, I know that linen video!! I saw it a few months ago on someone else's blog. I often have fields full of blue flowers near me - I was delighted then to understand what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh cari, you're so lucky have fields of flax. it must be so beautiful when in bloom. that video makes apparent, the love that goes into making linen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...