Monday, November 28, 2011

Musings on a Monday - The Sketchbook Project 2012

I am officially caught up with transferring all my previous 'test' pages into this new Sketchbook for the 2012 Art House Co-op tour.

The first time I attempted this page was back in May of this year.  This time round I opted to hand write the text.

Pages 17 and 18, The Sketchbook Project 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes, November 2011
Lines of circumnavigating quartz spread out on silica.  A path starting somewhere and ending elsewhere.

Pages 19 and 20, The Sketchbook Project 2012, Cari-Jane Hakes, November 2011
She could hear the chattering sound of the pebbles as they tumbled at the edge of the waves.  Did they ever get tired of this incessant motion?  Or was it essential to make them into the beauty of smoothness that she was able to grasp in the palm of her hand?  Sharp edges rounded, whole characters with even, wise temperaments.

I'm aware as I write some of this prose that the sentences are not in fact sentences.  I wonder it this is acceptable only because I know that they aren't sentences!  A deliberate attempt to create something by breaking some rules.  In trying to create a story that is just out of reach, just on the edge of the girl's consciousness, there is a brokenness in the language.

In any case, I like this metaphor for life.  As I sit and write I can recall many encounters with people who have had the quality I'm trying to describe above.  They have (or had) a softness of character, a wiseness that was developed through a life of hard knocks.  A life of struggle, hardships and overcoming adversity really does MAKE a person.  The real trick is realising this whilst your in the middle of 'it' and in some way trying to understand and appreciate the better person the experience will make you.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sketchbook! Great job Cari-Jane! And thank you for your kind comment! Have a nice new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your handwriting is the most lovely, so good choice Mme H. Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...