Friday, September 16, 2011

Hybrid Handmade super snug jacket / cardigan

A while back on Pinterest I spotted this :



and so I decided to give it a go with an old jumper belonging to the Hybrid Handmade Husband! I should stress that this jumper was on its way out.  It has a few holes and had fallen out of favour.  As such is was languising somewhat.  A bit abandoned and rejected.

I followed the lovely Dee Construction's instructions and fabulous tutorial and got busy with my scissors.


Take one large man-sized jumper (check with the jumper's owner that is no longer loved or needed).


Be brave and cut those sleeves right off (I was carful to cut right along the seam so I didn't cut into any of the knitting).


Follow Dee Construction's instructions and chop the top off each sleeve.


Try the sleeves on and decide how much needs to be trimmed off to make them fit more petite lady arms.


Put what is left of the jumper on and decide how much needs to be taken off the sides.  I just pinched it a bit under my arm and measured, did the same at the bottom and then did a quick baking paper pattern piece to interpolate between the underarm measurement and the bottom measurement.


Take the top bits of the sleeves you cut off earlier and create long stitches (by hand or on your seweing machine) so you can create the puff sleeves.  Again, the Dee Construction tutorial explains this in more detail.


Then sew it all together again!


I then cut mine up the middle and took a bit off the length, turned over a narrow seam and stitched all round my cut edges.


And there you have it!  From frumpy old unwanted jumper to fabulous and chic in just over 3 hours!


Bon Weekend mes amis!

7 comments:

  1. Too cool! And very very cute. :) :) Sea Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty darn cute. love the boots. they look like you could live in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh
    that
    is rather
    clever
    but
    could
    i
    really
    be
    arsed
    !
    good
    for you
    mrs
    x
    ...

    ***

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah Linda, as I always say, 'each to their own' - and seriously, if I'd just packed up my entire house I'm not sure I would be so bothered either :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yes, Pamela, those boots, recycled sari and leather, they are on their 6th winter, I love them and will keep repairing them and repairing them, I know I will never find another pair.

    Thank you Cas! Cute, chic and cozy! What more could a woman want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love the sleeve detail... I've been so tempted lately to cut cardigans out of pull-overs but this really takes it to a whole new level altogether! And, uh, the boots are pretty fan-tastic!

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cardigan great little project....but the boots OH MY GOD> I WANT>

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...