Thursday, September 1, 2011

Before everything else...

A long long time ago, somewhere in the windy wilds of Scotland, I was given this little brooch.  I seem to remember it caught my eye at a craft fair.  I was perhaps 9 or 10 years old.


It has a ceramic 'frame' and a collage of fabric and thread suggesting a landscape and a distant horizon.  I was reunited with it recently and it seems to me I have been reworking this little piece of wearable art for many years.



This recent brooch is no exception.  A horizon of wild plants extending into a network of soil and landscape and root systems.

Wilderness, brooch, front detail, Cari-Jane Hakes, August 2011
It is a composite of perspex, paper and silver carefully riveted together with more tiny silver nails than I care to remember.

Wilderness, brooch, edge detail, Cari-Jane Hakes, August 2011
A crumbled edge of 'earth' rests upon a bright, shiny silvered mirror. On the back...

Wilderness, brooch, back detail, Cari-Jane Hakes, August 2011
an exert from the first page of Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights.  The landscape, the text, the implied conversation - there is a thread that runs from this piece to that brooch I was given as a small girl.  A lineage of thought and intention that surprises even myself!


3 comments:

  1. I wonder if it is appropriate to ask mr. rugby to buy me one of your pieces every year as a wedding anniversary present?? ...you have no idea how many people asked whether the brooch and necklace were heirlooms...!! Meanwhile, love this! Love the way you pull a story together in your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) hope he liked his cuff links!
    and as for the heirlooms - that is what a little bit of patination will do! And I think the cut of the stones was very 'heritage' which made them feel like 'old souls' rather than all sheeny shiny and new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that amazing? So interesting how that brooch became embedded in your aesthetic! Both are beautiful works of art...

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...