Monday, July 11, 2011

Nesting

Over the past few weeks my boys have found three little discarded nests.  The babies have flown and these carefully crafted things of beauty are redundant.

Pebbles and Nests, Cari-Jane Hakes, July 2011
I am a more than a little bit fascinated by these perfectly woven assemblages.  Pliable twigs and lichen and moss create the outer shell.

A nest in the hand, Cari-Jane Hakes, July 2011
Inside, soft feathers and fluff together with bits of animal hair plucked from barbed wire fences have been knitted together to create a little cosy cocoon.

Mossy nest and pebble, Cari-Jane Hakes, July 2011
The birds hold onto these things lightly.  They let them go naturally when they have served their purpose.  They move on, unburdened, light as a feather!  I think they may be on to something, don't you?
Nest Edge, Cari-Jane Hakes, July 2011

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Excellent point....so profound! I have always been fascinated with the items they bring together as one to make a home, its awesome! Great pictures Cari-Jane:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Erin...although I claim no ownership of the profoundness - I had in mind 'consider the birds of the air...' verse when I was putting this post together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. Wonderful sentiment and beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...