Monday, July 4, 2011

Hybrid Handmade Home - How to Make a Frame From a Drawer

We changed our bathroom cabinet a few months back.  It was a strange 1970's concoction with little style value or merit.  That said, I noticed the drawers were well well made and perhaps could be kept for a future 'nesting' project.

The Drawers - they have potential I think.  I took the handles off.
The Drawers - after a bit of sanding
I painted the interior and then set about pre-drilling some holes to take the hanging fixings.

Drill position, one third of the height down from the top.
I pre-drilled the holes a little bit smaller than the nails because the wood was fairly slim - I didn't want to split it.


Then hammer the nails in - I had help from a lovely little 3 year old boy.  He enjoyed making a lot of noise with me!


I did a little bit of extra distressing (in honour of the 'Queen of Distressing' Linda of Odd and Old) on the front facing edge.


I measured 2 x the width of the drawer and cut the same length in wire.  I wraped it round tight and and  hey presto, it's ready to hang.


Then fill it with lovely things!

Hybrid Handmade Home - Old Drawer, New Drawer
Some Pebbles, a spoon, a cup and a letterpress 'g'
New Drawer, detail
New Drawer, detail
And there you have it - a bit of re-purposed, recycled and re-used drawer action to brighten your Monday.  

À bientôt mes amis!

7 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm totally looking at all my furniture with a very unnatural gleam in my eyes now.... hee hee

    Stopping in from the Etsy blog team :)
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you are so clever, have i told you that before? Love Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this! I salvaged a whole bunch of solid 1950's cupboard doors and drawers and dividers when my parents redid their kitchen (my grandparents built the house...I hated to see them all thrown away!) but I haven't figured out what to do with them yet! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany - your 'unnatural gleam' had me sniggering into my morning coffee earlier today!
    Thank you Mrs L.
    Oh, Jana, they sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn! Was so hoping to be follower #100! Saw your tweet via your husband's tweet about my "super sketches" of his Mojito shoe on my blog... So happy to have found you - very clever use of drawers that I will file in my home design memory bank for future use!! Congrats on making it to 100! I'm looking forward to that day...

    http://inherentstylela.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Morrgan! And Style Dilettante - your one follower closer to 100. Looking forward to discovering the REAL LA through your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...