Monday, June 20, 2011

A Manifesto Ring

This ring is simple but when I finished it I realised, this ring embodies everything that is fabulous about handmade, crafted and created jewellery.

Manifesto Ring, Cari-Jane Hakes, June 2011
It has a story to tell.  It is brand new, fresh off the bench today and yet it has an amazing history.  Once it is claimed by its new owner it will start to evolve its own story.  Parts of its history will be told and handed down and on.  Maybe other parts will get exaggerated and embroidered!

Manifesto Ring, Cari-Jane Hakes, June 2011
The leaf that I used to imprint the silver that makes the band of this ring I collected from Regent's Park in London in 2004.  I have carried these leaves with me all this time.  It was a crisp autumn day.  I was a new mother.  My 9 month old baby boy was sleeping in his buggy and so I had time to look and gather and collect.

Manifesto Ring, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2011
The pearl nestled in the cylindrical housing is pure vintage.  I inherited these pearls.  They were taken out of a very glamorous necklace my Grandfather bought for my Grandmother in Hong Kong in the 1950's.  They were living there at the time.  The necklace must have been a little too long for my Grandmother's liking and so she had about 15 or so tiny little pearls removed from the back of the necklace.  These 15 little pearls have remained unworn for over 50 years.  I thought it was time they got out a little more.

This ring is part of my manifesto because although this ring is new it has so much history already.  It has a vibrancy and life to it that you can't find anywhere else.  It is 'alive' as an inanimate object can be.

Its resulting beauty and purity are why I do what I do.  I honestly feel like I was born to do this.

5 comments:

  1. I honestly think you were too. They are just such exquisite pieces and so unlike anything i have seen. They are beautifully crafted, un pretentious, have a soulfulness and delight about them all in the same.

    I hope you keep this one for yourself? or for a family member maybe?

    Meanwhile...I have 3 little boxes, ...their contents sitting...waiting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Does that mean I can stop holding my breath? They are now finally with you!? That is the best news and a great start to my day (and a good end to yours).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely piece with lovely history. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Morrgan - every piece has a story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A story. Beautifully told. Merci mon ami. Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...