Friday, June 24, 2011

A Fabulous Friday Feeling

I hesitated.  I decided no.  I decided, yes.
Yes, I would actually make a manifesto ring for myself.  This is a hard thing to do.  To take a sheet of silver and cut into it to make something for me.  Silver is expensive.  I'm running a business here!  Never the less, I decided yes.

I have a stone, a simple cabochon, that I have looked at, replaced in a drawer, taken out and looked at some more.  I have decided it will be mine.  I want to make a big ring.  An everyday ring.  A ring that will shout louder than I dare.  A ring that will express a bit of who I am in a country where it is hard for me to learn all the words that would allow me to do this eloquently.

A Manifesto for Me, Cari-Jane Hakes, June 2011
I took one of my Regent's Park leaves and pulled it through my rolling mill.  The print came out so well, its beauty and clarity surprised me.  I have done this texture probably a hundred times.  But there is something about this one that is special.  Perhaps it is the space of neutral silver between the fingers of this leaf.  Perhaps it was the pressure I exerted as I pulled the handle round on the mill.  Either way - its looking rather fine.  I took a quick photo before I bit into it with my saw.  It was a good way to end the week.

Bon Weekend mes amis!

8 comments:

  1. Well this could be me talking!! Only yesterday I realised it was exactly a year since I made myself anything. I have a stone I've been saving for that day when I finally take the plunge:) The leaf print is beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing your new ring. Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaf print looks amazing!
    I recently took part in a handmade bazaar and saw that all most sellers where wearing their jewelry, I had nothing of mine to wear :-( Now I'm making some for the next one!
    have a great day
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I was thinking you should make a manifesto ring for yourself? Did I mention that?
    It is looking beautiful. I thought some of those grandmothers pearls should be kept for you or family too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenita - it's hard isn't it? You feel guilty, like your wasting precious resources - but then sometimes there is just a stone than is destined to become part of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex - I think that is important - especially at a selling event. And that is a VERY good excuse to take time out and make something for yourself! No guilt involved there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea - oh don't worry, I have a whole string of those pearls. I'm only using the ones that were cut out of the necklace to make it right length for my Grandmother. And yes, I am planning to make a few pieces with a single pearl (from this discarded strand) for myself. Maybe I'll do some kind of modern re-interpretation of the classic pearl stranded necklace. Hmmm, another one for my 'things I would love to make' list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the leaf print! Then again I love all things nature :)

    Your newest follower,
    -Laurie

    createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful
    work
    cari
    and you
    deserve
    one
    think
    of it
    as
    advertising
    if it
    helps
    (& big
    heartfelt
    thanks
    for your
    kindness)
    x
    ...

    ***

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...