Thursday, April 7, 2011

Springtime in London

Wednesday was a rare day-off of sorts for me.  Indeed, for the first few hours I was able to ignore the rush and urgency of all the possiblilites that a metropolitan landscape has to offer.

Wednesday 8 April 2011, Cari-Jane Hakes
This city was my 'home' for 10 years.  I have been out of it for nearly 3.  It is familiar and foreign to me.  I had forgotten how to move through crowded station platforms and concourses.  I completely misjudged one particular cross-navigation which ended in a startling collision!

Waiting for the Victoria and Albert Museum to open, Cari-Jane Hakes 2011
But before all of that there was this:

Cromwell Road Elevation of the V and A, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2011
I decided it was high time I inspected the Jewellery rooms in the Materials and Techniques section of the Victoria and Albert Museum.  On my way there, I was somewhat distracted by morning coffee in The John Madejski garden.

The John Madejski Garden, Victoria and Albert Museum, Cari-Jane Hakes 2011
Urban courtyards always surprise me with their tranquility.  Mere layers of stone and glass and space separate this lightwell of spring sunshine and water from the heaving Cromwell Road. Even so, all I could hear was the light excited chatter of fresh tourists newly embarked from their gleaming coach and the fountains.

Shadowed Phone Box, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2011
I succumed then to the rush and hurry, the busy and the bustle.  I collected brass tubing, moonstone cabochons and binding wire from east of the City before crashing and colliding my way south.

I have come home now to lilacs, lilly of the valley and the laughter of small boys.  It helps to dispel the tiredness and heaviness in my heart.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post. I felt I was there with you amidst the bustle. It put me in mind to remember many a coffee (and tea, caffeinated or not...) supped with you in the chaos that was everyday life. I hope your heart is a little lighter now. If not, here's a hug...xxx Mrs L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, lovely post. I know that feeling of returning to a city you know well, and it feeling a little foreign.

    Thankyou for the images, and the opportunity for me to create a mental picture of the v&a (which i have never seen) jewellry section...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you dear friends...how lovely would it be to meet up there and share cake and tea?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably suggest we meet at the Tyre Park. Then we could fully assess how far we've moved on. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...