Friday, April 22, 2011

Bridal Jewellery with added SOUL - Part two OR why Labradorite should be a girl's best friend.

I must admit, I am a little sad that this commission is drawing to a close.  I have enjoyed every day that I have worked on these pieces.  Ok, I admit, the soldering was a little scary, but we came out the other side fairly unscathed.

Andrea's necklace, Cari-Jane Hakes April 2011
Ingredients: A big gorgeous hunk of labradorite, sterling silver with roll printed leaf textures, fine silver bezel and a pinch of silver sphere, nestled in amongst the leaves.

Andrea's necklace, removable single leaf detail, Cari-Jane Hakes April 2011
Is is any wonder that ancient civilisations made 'gods' of the earth, the sky, the rivers, the oceans. Can you imagine uncovering a chunk of labradorite in a bygone age? Suddenly, in the ground, this winking flash of colour!  There is an Eskimo legend which is woven around the mercurial properties of labradorite.  They say that the Northern Lights were once held captive in the rocks along the coast of Labrador.  The story goes that an Eskimo warrior found the rocks.  Using all his strength he struck the rocks with his spear.  Some of the light was set free to flicker and roam in the stratosphere but some of the light remained trapped creating the stone we call labradorite.

Andrea's necklace, top detail, Cari-Jane Hakes April 2011
I think maybe this necklace has taken me a little longer to make because I would sit for minutes at a time and just turn this stone so it would wink its big blue eye at me!  I need to get another big hunk of the stuff and make it into a fierce ring.  I have a feeling it would knock the socks off any Upper East Side Tiffany solitaire!

Andrea's necklace, heart detail on back plate, Cari-Jane Hakes, April 2011
All that remains is for these pieces to travel by special 'husband courier' to London to get hallmarked.  I have my unique makers mark registered there.  The hallmark will make the piece traceable and will 'date stamp' it.  In years to come, an inquisitive relative will be able to hold this piece in their hands and weave their own legend and magic into the stone.

2 comments:

  1. It's exquisite.....I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...