Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday mémoire (or, here is one I made earlier)

Following on from my good news yesterday I thought you would like to see the other piece I submitted for Lark Books '500 Felt Objects'.  This brooch / necklace, I feel,  is one of my best pieces from 2010.

'Oh that I could take the stars from the sky and place them round your neck' brooch / necklace, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2010
It was a labour of love.  A romantic little piece.  I enjoyed coming up with the title for this one and weaving a Shakespearean love story in my mind as I cut and sewed and filed and fashioned this curious little universe.

'Oh that I could take the stars from the sky and place them round your neck' brooch / necklace, Cari-Jane Hakes, 2010
Can you imagine the joy when I finally got that little silver plate with all its sparkly stars to fit on the back of the brooch?

It is probably the piece that most clearly defines me as a designer at the moment.  A detailed jewellery, fabricated to surprise and delight with the power to transform any outfit it is worn with.  Each piece unique, each piece hand made with details that could never be mass produced.   And although I'm not in Paris where all the fabulousness of couture is made, I am in France and my work ethics and methods mirror those fashion houses.  To me, this brooch / necklace is couture.

This is the one that didn't get into the book.  In a way, I love it all the more for its 'rejection'.  In any case I am literally over the moon to get one piece into the book.  I'm thinking of extending the celebration into the weekend!  I wish you could all join me for tea and cake.  Bon weekend mes amis!

1 comment:

  1. :) And the nicest thing is - I get to be an owner of one of these fabulous pieces of yours. No...two!! :) (plus the cufflinks)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...