Monday, February 7, 2011

Rock, Paper, Scissors (or 'where this on-line journal all began')

Thank you to PureDichotomy over on Etsy for including one of my favourite rings in their pebble inspired treasury (2nd row from the top, far left, single stripe slate blue pebble in sterling silver setting).

Treasury featuring hybrid handmade slate blue pebble ring
I love this ring, as do many fellow Etsyians.  It has the most 'hearts' out of all my pieces currently on display in my shop.  What you don't see in the treasury pictures are all the little extra details which go to make this an extra special ring.

For example, the dried flowers impressed into the silver on the back plate of the silver cup that holds the pebble.  I picked these up in the fields that surround my home here in France and the pebble is from one of the local beaches here.

Ring from 'Les Petite Callioux' series by Cari-Jane Hakes
When I buy anything it is the detail I go for.  On a t-shirt, I will always go for the one with the little bit of velvet edging or some other tiny embellishment.  The new mug I bought recently sold itself to me because it had a little picture inside, right at the bottom.  I do the same with my jewellery.

Detail of ring from 'Les Petits Callioux' series, Cari-Jane Hakes
These details aren't necessary or even economical.  They are just there because they are beautiful and all together, in my jewellery, they make for a piece that is unique, extra special, not rushed and full of integrity and soul.

Blue slate pebble ring worn, Cari-Jane Hakes
This ring has a story.  If it could sing it would melodically join in along with Edith Piaf's Non, Je ne Regrette Rien.


Ring from 'Les Petits Callioux' series by Cari-Jane Hakes
I believe this ring has so much Etsy love because it is honest and grounded.  In a world full of bling and sparkle and gloss we all need a little bit of something to bring us back down to earth.

I leave you with...La Grande Madame herself,


4 comments:

  1. aaaacch, these fine details are what i love so much about your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i have some fabulous pebbles from cornwall, serpentime. Maybe i could send some to you one day for you to make something with for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, would love to! Helps if they have one side that is flat as I don't have lapidary equipment (stone cutting tools) - but there are ways round it, different settings etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your ethos and can't understand why you don't keep this little lovely. hope it's bright chez toi, bis...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...