Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Jules Verne 8th February 1828 - 24th March 1905

I couldn't let the occasion of the great man's birthday pass without airing my homage to his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  I am particularly enamoured with Google's transformation of its logo in honour of the occasion.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea necklace closure, Cari-Jane Hakes
When I was making this piece (a prototype for a concealed magnetic necklace closure) I wanted to create something that would surprise people.  That would make them say 'WHAT on earth is THAT?'.  In a good way.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Cari-Jane Hakes
Those of you who have been following this journal for a while will know that I got this piece silver plated (see here for further images).  In its raw copper and brass form, it was however much more 'Jules Verne' and would be very happy diving to 20,000 leagues and beyond in Google's aquatic logo.



Joyeux Anniversaire Monsieur!

1 comment:

  1. ahha
    now i get the gaudy google logo
    i hate it!
    me thinks vulgar and amateur!
    ooops
    still
    love your piece
    far more refined
    altogether in a different 'league'
    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...