Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday mémoire (or, here is one I made earlier)

One day I will run out of these as my past will catch up with the present but until then I give you....

Bibliothéque Sainte-Geneviéve, Paris, Cari-Jane Hakes
the beautiful luminous space of quietude and studious silence that is the Bibliothéque Saint-Geneviéve in Paris designed by Henri Labrouste.  I took these pictures as a post-graduate student.  We has been given the job of designing a receptacle to house a 'Cabinet of Curosities' which would be located within this library.
Reading Lamps, Cari-Jane Hakes
I took these pictures not knowing what would come out once the film was developed.  These two pictures of the reading lamps and the coat hooks are my favourites.  They have a ghostly magical light to them.

Coat Hook, Cari-Jane Hakes
I have to say, the project was tough.  As part of the submission we had to fabricate our cabinet with the available technology in the neighbouring engineering department.  I spent many long days on milling machines, covered in metal swarf, wrestling with the products of my imagination and the tools as my disposal.
initial sketches, Cari-Jane Hakes
Here is hoping your weekend is equally luminous (but may be not so tough).

3 comments:

  1. Very lovely. Merci. Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a lovely eye....a real gentleness.
    In german you would say 'sensible', which means a cross between subtle and sensibility ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thank you Lovely Mrs L and Andrea x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...