Sunday, January 16, 2011

Something different Sunday - The Sketchbook Project 2011, the final installment

Front Cover, The Sketchbook Project 2011, Cari-Jane Hakes
I finished the last drawing on Friday night, JUST as Art House Co-op posted an extension to the deadline!  While the book was ready to be posted of on Saturday 15th January I'm not sure I was ready!  The new deadline is Tuesday 18th January 2011.  Just a few extra days but I've enjoyed holding the completed book in my hands - rather than hastily parceling it up to meet the old postmark deadline.

Pages 76 and 77, The Sketchbook Project 2011
"Shall we rest here awhile?" Cedric seemed to say as they watched the blades rotate rhythmically, slicing  the clouds and splicing the sunlight into sparkling fragments that bounced through the air creating a palpable vibration to the atmosphere around them.

The imposition of the deadline has created a much needed focus for such a self-indulgent project.  I chose to fill all 80 pages of the moleskine sketchbook that was sent to me.  The pages of intense architectural landscapes on some pages necessitated brevity and economy of line on other pages.  At times of course I wondered why I hadn't just re-bound the book with thicker paper. On reflection however I think the story needed the full 80 pages to unfold and be told.
Page 78 and 79, The Sketchbook Project 2011, Cari-Jane Hakes

And so the girl and Cedric learnt how to say 'goodbye' in another new language, but this time they did not leave.

Page 80 and inside back cover, The Sketchbook Project 2011, Cari-Jane Hakes
The Alternative 'Thelma & Louise' Ending


Cedric, as a proud film aficionado, was more than a little afraid.  His eyes opened even wider as a mixture of surprise and shock washed over him.  However, he visibly relaxed in the girl's arms as she whispered "I just meant, maybe we should just keep going."


I know it is cliched, but this ending is just the beginning of a new journey.  The Sketchbook Project 2011 tour kicks off in Brooklyn, New York in February 2011 and ends up in San Francisco, California in June 2011.  I have been slightly fearful of this punishing schedule on the fragile nature of some of the pages.  To this end I have been covering some of them with clear sticky plastic and have made my own digital scans.

And so I have to bid a fond farewell to my little girl and her stuffed newt, Cedric.  Bon Voyage ma chérie.

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I love how the project sends everybody off on a different journey. I'm also worried that some pages won't last the distance - did you notice they had a serated tear line close the spine. Bit worried about them ripping out. c'est la vie I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I spotted that, the pages ARE perforated towards the back of the sketchbook. I got busy with some 'magic tape' and the sticky backed plastic seems to be working to reinforce those pages. My book however, is now about 5 times thicker than when it first arrived!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...