Friday, December 17, 2010

Pour Madame...

I've been working away on another private commission.  It is a ring for an important French lady.  I know the people who commissioned me to make this piece and I found myself thinking of them and the intended recipient whilst I cut and filed and soldered and polished.

Detail of back plate to Forest Ochre ring by Cari-Jane Hakes
It made me think how incredibly special a commission is.  It has to be planned in advance.  If it is a ring, there is the non trivial task of finding out the ring size.....secretly!

Detail of cabochon by Cari-Jane Hakes
The other thing that makes this ring special is its story.  It would be easy to just pick something up in a local store.  But this piece has a 'soul'.  It was made with love and attention to EVERY detail.  The stone was bought from a fellow Etsy seller.  She found a stash of cabochons in a box that had been in storage for over 30 years!

Back plate detail by Cari-Jane Hakes
There is a certain romance to this.  It gives the ring a kind of mysterious 'Indiana Jones' edge.

Edge detail of Forest Ochre ring by Cari-Jane Hakes

When I fished this piece out of my polishing tumbler,  even I was surprised at its beauty.  The mix of deep ochre red and forest green combined with the stunning clarity of the leaf imprint on the hidden underside.  Oh, I wish I could be a 'fly on the wall' when she opens it and sees it for the first time!  I hope she feels the love and the attention that her family intend for her through the organisation of this gift.

As always, I'm so honoured to be part of this process.  It's the best part of my job!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Mrs H, a lovely post and a most beautiful piece. An important French lady once said to her son that she wished to be a 'mouse in his pocket' on the day he was marrying his bride in a faraway place. I'm sure the recipient of this gift will feel every inch of thought, love, heart and soul that this piece represents. Merci. Mrs L x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most welcome as always lovely Mrs L. and I hope it has arrived through the snow and the altitude!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...